Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cut a Hole in a Box!

Things are starting to move on the film front. As I mentioned in my last (first) post, I'm planning on filming my rides/commutes for a year and editing them into a baller POV movie. You may have guessed that my not having a helmet cam would be a slight hindrance to this whole project. Being that I'm swimming in a somewhat substantial pool of student loan debt, I can't really justify slapping down $500 to start a big project that probably won't yield any returns (other than a glorious film). But have you heard of Kickstarter? I'll refrain from explaining how it works here, (you should check out the site if you haven't heard of it) but it's basically a way for creative folks with cool ideas to get their projects funded. Anyway, long paragraph short, my project just got accepted to Kickstarter and will be going live soon. Obviously I'll be spreading the word pretty hard once it does, but keep your eyes peeled.

In an effort to inspire you all to pledge once the site goes live, (besides the cool NPR/PBS style pledge rewards that will be listed on the site) I wanted to post some pictures of some stuff that I've made in the past. Just to prove that I might have some small amount of potential to make something cool.





Starting small, Once I decided I wanted to "customize" my laptop; I drew some lines on it... MOVING ON!




image courtesy Erin Nicole Brown photography

This is the sign I made for the new Bicycle Habitat location.





I made these picture frame style bike displays for the new Habitat location also. They're designed to accommodate a few different tire widths and road bikes up to a size 56.

I know what you're thinking, "Wait, Dave, all the shit you just showed me either involved drawing some lines or putting some wood together. How do you think you're going to make a film?!" Well it should be known that I have other things that I could have posted here, I just don't have any really good pictures of them handy. And come to think of it, they mostly involve putting wood together or drawing lines... BUT! I have a few really good friends that have some film-making experience, both behind the camera and at the editing board, so I'll be asking them for a lot of advice. *cough*Justin*cough* More importantly, though, I know it's not going to be easy, and I'm OK with that. Editing down a years worth of rides to one exciting hour is going to be excruciating. But I figure if I work as I go, and weed out the schlock, it won't be too bad in the end. So here we go, into some new territory. Now if I could only think of a title...

1 comment:

  1. the title will hit you one day while you are eating an egg.. on that note, the project looks rad..

    ReplyDelete